Subject: Re: NetBSD and the 68030 MMU
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@cesium.clock.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/23/1996 17:48:59
>> The Mac port probably was a, well, insert your favorite explative here.

I've been tracking this particular port for over three years, and I know
precisely why the port has such trouble:

1. Apple supplies *no* hardware documentation whatsoever.

2. Apple gratuitously changes hardware between *models* quite frequently.

The end result is that they're in device-driver hell - having to
reverse-engineer everything, one model at a time. I've been trying in my
own way to get problem #1 fixed (can't fix #2), because in my other life as
a worker-drone, I'm

	Erik E. Fair	<fair@apple.com>
	Internet Architect
	Apple Computer, Inc.
	One Infinite Loop
	Cupertino, CA 95014

I would dearly love to see NetBSD on the 7500 through 9500 models of
PowerPC based PCI-bus Macintoshes. It's interesting to note that the
MK/Linux stuff that runs on the earlier NuBus PPC systems (6100, 7100,
8100) used a lot of driver code from the MacBSD/NetBSD port to the 68K. I
think that once the MK/Linux stuff runs on the PCI PPC systems (they keep
saying "sometime this fall"), what with the source code being available, it
should not be all that hard to make NetBSD/PPC go... (fingers crossed).

	Erik E. Fair	fair@clock.org