Subject: Re: Sun installation problems
To: None <darkseed@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/23/1996 19:56:44
>> You might want to ask mouse@ .. mcgill.ca.  Oops.  Can't find the
>> exact email address right now.

> If you come up with that e-mail address I might ask that person too.

That sounds like me.  (The mcgill.ca address is mouse@cim.mcgill.ca,
though it gets forwarded to me at home, which is the address in my
signature.)

>> "Unix 4.2 BSD" tapes?
>> Unless you mean SunOS 3.x, they aren't going to help.  And, SunOS
>> 3.x is not worth the effort.

>> 9-track tape?  Do you have any network access?  Any other Sun or
>> Sparc machines to network boot from?

> Yes, they are on 9-track tapes.
> I don't have network access or any other Sun's to boot from...

Do you have any other network-capable machines, even if not connected
to the Internet at large?  You can netboot a Sun-3 from a Linux box,
for example, without needing to be connected to the global Internet.

As for SunOS 3.x not being worth the effort...well, as a system to run
that may be true.  But it is certainly good enough to boot briefly to
suck over NetBSD onto the disks.

darkseed, if you care to correspond privately about this, feel free to
write me.  What hardware do you have?  The message from mcr didn't
include a detailed description of what hardware you have.  (For
example, are the disks in physically separate enclosures?  If so, and
you can move them to another machine that is on the net, you may be
able to set up the disks there and hand-carry the installation to the
Sun-3.  If you have a zip drive on the machine and can write zip disks
on some net-connected machine, I can give you a dd image of a bootable
zip disk.  What other machines do you have available, either at the
same location as the Sun-3 or elsewhere?)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D