Subject: Re: 3/60 SCSI Problem
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/23/1996 18:26:57
At 12:59 AM 10/23/96 -0700, Time Keeper wrote:
>At 21:46 -0700 10/22/96, naamato@merit.edu wrote:
>
>>And, what's this I hear about some late 3/60 models shipped with a 68030?
>
>That would be the 3/80. Since it has a different architecture than the
>68020 machines (had to do something with that MMU and cache!), NetBSD won't
>run on it yet. There were rumours of someone working on it, but I haven't
>seen anything here about it in quite some time.

I don't know about cache off the top of my head, but I do know that the
'030 had the MMU in the processor.

The 68010 and 68020 had it as another chip. Motorola sold an MMU to go along
with the processor, but Sun didn't use it. They rolled their own. I believe
that's correct, or I'm blind as a bat (I couldn't find an MMU
on my 3/60).

The Sun 3 machines had a 68020, the Sun 3x machines (3/80, 3/4xx) had the
68030. I think I might have heard a reference to the 3y prototype machines,
which had a 68040. That would have been a sweet Sun 3!

The 3/60 has a place on the motherboard next to the processor, where a
socket can be soldered in and a 68030 put in. Go see the Sun3 Archive
for more details (it should be on my hotlist off my web page). I don't
know if this is a late model 3/60 I have or not. It's got a five digit
serial number, if that tells anybody anything.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu