Subject: Re: NetBSD on sun3x
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/23/1996 13:54:00
On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> (oops). My memory says that there was some MMU issue with the sun3x that
> was preventing NetBSD from running, though, nu?

This is true, but I was addressing your statement that a 68030 couldn't be
used in place of a 68020 in a sun3.  The reason NetBSD sun3 won't run on
the 3/80 is that the sun3x _architecture_ is more than just a change in
CPU.  It does not have the external hardware for virtual memory management
that the sun3 architecture does, and thus the only thing left to use is
the internal Address Translation Cache of the 68030. (This is not nearly a
bad thing, just different.)

-J