Subject: Re: 3/60 SCSI Problem
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/23/1996 13:29:57
On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> At 21:46 -0700 10/22/96, naamato@merit.edu wrote:
>
> >And, what's this I hear about some late 3/60 models shipped with a 68030?
>
> That would be the 3/80. Since it has a different architecture than the
> 68020 machines (had to do something with that MMU and cache!), NetBSD won't
> run on it yet. There were rumours of someone working on it, but I haven't
> seen anything here about it in quite some time.

Actually a 68030 will work work as a 68020.  When powered on, the MMU is
disabled.  If the ROM startup code does not turn it on, it will remain
disabled, appearing as a faster version of the 68020.

As for the 3x, the cache you speak of does not exist in all 3x machines,
only in the 3/4xx models.  The 3/80 is the only member of the family
without it.

-J