Subject: 3/60 SCSI Problem
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ari Rubenstein <arubenst@portal.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/10/1996 14:52:41
Hi,

I recently acquired a 3/60, and am running NetBSD/sun3 1.2 on it.
After a few hours running flawlessly, the computer will invariably ditch
me to the debugger with the following error.

si: DMA timeout (while polling)
panic: ncr5380_scsi_cmd: polled request, abort failed
Stopped at		_Debugger+0x6:	unlk	a6
db>

Another 3/60 at work used to have the same error, but upgrading to
NetBSD 1.2 seemd to fix it.  What it going on here?  Tell me this is
software related, as I'd rather not have to find parts for the beast...

Also, it seems to be related to how long the computer has been physically
on (as opposed to how long since last reboot).  The bottom of the case
feels quite hot.  Could this error be the result of a flaked-out fan,
power supply, etc. causing the SCSI controller to overheat?

Keep in mind that Sun hardware is pretty much voodoo to me and be gentle
in your explanations of why my little theory makes absolutely no sense... :-)

- Ari

Ari Rubenstein				Internet Portal Services

ari@portal.ca				phone:	257-9400
					fax:	257-9401