Subject: Re: Upgrading to -current
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ocunix.on.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/29/1996 14:03:35
  I recently upgraded my sun3/NetBSD systems from 8Mb or ram to 24Mb of
ram. Some of the ram was definitely 3 chip SIMMs. I had to upgrade in
units of 4Mb and boot every time; I noticed that a misseated chip
in bank n often caused the system to find an error in bank <n.
  My system used to "everything dumps core" everyday. I had a cron job
to reboot it every morning. Now:

amaterasu-[/w/src/PGPTools] 178 >uptime
 1:54PM  up 29 days, 11:39, 0 users, load averages: 1.16, 1.19, 1.16

  I upgraded the ram on August 1...

  I've since built tcl/tk (7.5/4.1), slrn, a new xemacs (with xpm support this
time), msql, mh, xpaint, lynx-slang, perl5, rxvt, and I'm using exmh to type
this. Alas, exmh is pretty slow at times.
  I display to my SunOS/sun3/cgtwo machine, which has 12Mb.

  I just built this past weekend's kernel sup but got:

ld -N -Ttext 0E004000 -e start -X -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} vers.o
ld: virtual memory exhausted
*** Error code 1
amaterasu-[/w/netbsd/src/sys/arch/sun3/compile/AMATERASU] 293 >pstat -s
Device      512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/sd0b        95504    36880    58624    39%    Interleaved

  So, I'm not sure what is up here. I do have lots happening, but surely
26Mb is vm is enough.... hmm. Maybe it's me, 'mcr' that has exceed the limit.

amaterasu-[/w/netbsd/src/sys/arch/sun3/compile/AMATERASU] 296 >limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        8192 kbytes
stacksize       512 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       21840 kbytes
memorylocked    7280 kbytes
maxproc         80
openfiles       65

  I do *all* compiling as a mortal. Compiling as root is evil, particularly
for 'net' sources.
  I'm happy to share my executables with anyone who wants them, but they
are built with --prefix=/sandel.