Subject: Re: what is the net boot sequence?
To: Henry W Miller <mill0440@gold.tc.umn.edu>
From: Melody Lynn Yoon <melody@voicenet.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/06/1996 17:43:05
On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Henry W Miller wrote:

> I'm attempting to bot a 3/60 from a linux box.  I see on teh consol the
> sun get its ip address, and tftp boot something.  Then it says attempting
> to get ip addres of 8:0:  (whatever its hardware address is) and things
> stop.  What part of my linux box do I need to fix to continue this boot
> procosses?  A description of all the revelent messages to teh boot
> sequence would be much appreacated.

Hi Henry. I didn't boot my 3/60 originally off of a linux box, but off of
a SS10 running Sol2.5... However, it looks like you're having the same
problem I did.

>From what I can tell, the netboot program is just broken. It doesn't work.
However, to boot my 3/60, I replaced the netboot program with the boot
block of SunOS 4.1.1. This required that I rename the netbsd-rd kernel to
vmunix in the root NFS mounted directory for the machine, but it worked
great. :) I got it to come up and installed NetBSD-1.1 onto the 3/60's
hard drive off of the net. :)

Melody

Melody Lynn Yoon        Systems Administration          melody@voicenet.com
"Our children know everything... We have cable." -- Charles in Charge
Member of Team Internet Paintball -- I just forget my ID #
PGP Key: finger -l melody@voicenet.com