Subject: Re: xconsole
To: None <mcr@latour.sandelman.ocunix.on.ca, a.arnold@kfa-juelich.de>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/06/1996 12:01:35
> Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 20:15:43 -0400
> From: Michael Richardson <mcr@latour.sandelman.ocunix.on.ca>

>     A>   b) if you logged into the console, then /dev/console was
>     A> chown'ed to
>     >> you by /bin/login.
>
>     A> The standard NetBSD 1.1 /etc/ttys configuration uses /dev/kd as
>     A> device for console login, not /dev/console.  After a login on
>
>   Hmm. Fix this then.
>
>     A> console, /dev/console is still owned by root and has mode 622.

We will eventually have a "ttyaction" enhancement to getty that will
take care of the chown for you.  My preference is to use /dev/kd as
the device for getty (and use /dev/console only for init and logging).
That way, things work correctly even if you have a graphics head AND
you want to use the serial line as the console. (Great for debugging!)

In short, this setup was intentional: (NO getty on /dev/console)

# Also: the console is one of: kd, ttya, ttyb
console	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	sun	off secure
kd	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	sun	on  secure
ttya	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	on  secure
ttyb	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	off secure