Subject: CG3 board
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles Lepple <clepple@thor.tjhsst.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/18/1996 10:37:16
Hi. Sorry to bother all of you, but I figured you all would probably be fairly
knowledgeable about my questions. (I couldn't find the answers in the Sun HW
FAQ, btw)

Our school recently acquired several Sun workstations, and I got most of them
running with serial consoles. We have a shortage of terminals, though, and we
wanted to get some of the machines to run X on mono and color monitors. As is
usually the case, we have no documentation :) What I do know is that we have a
CG3 board and some working color monitors (we tried them on a 3/60 with a
color board). I have tried installing the CG3 on both a 3/160 and a 4/260 with
no luck, even after setting the jumpers per the HW FAQ. Is there some conflict
between the on-board mono video (which doesn't seem to work during
diagnostics, even when "e" is pressed to echo output to video) and the CG3
board?

Also, we would be content running an X server on the 3/60 but it doesn't seem
to notice when there is no AUI cable connected (a nearby mono 3/50 notices,
and prints error messages even when it isn't using the network). I've tried
the obvious (setting the AUI/autoselect jumper, testing the cable on other
machines, etc) and I'm wondering if anyone has had similar problems.

Thanks for your time

Charles Lepple
clepple@foo.org
clepple@tjhsst.edu