Subject: Re: Some HW/installation-questions
To: None <daniel@vis.inf.ethz.ch>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/17/1996 10:42:45
On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Daniel G. Kluge wrote:

> Hello,
> I just played with my other two sun3/60 since I received some Ram
> for them, and after a full day of work, I have some questions
> unanswered.
>
> Two of my Suns are 3/60C/G, Rom Version 3.0.1, with CG4 Framebuffers,
> and one is a 3/60M Rom Version 1.9, without any Framebuffer installed,
> what's the difference? www.sun.com does only list HW that has a
> Marketing-Value.
>
> The ROM of the 3/60M is far more advanced, the menu-tests would
> even test any Kind of framebuffer (well it didn't like the fact
> that there was none installed)

	The sun3 archive has plenty of info on the sun3 - its linked to
	from the www.netbsd.org sun3 pages, or direct:
	'http://doener.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/'

> The 2 Suns which I installed today didn't like booting from the
> ethernet at all, 'No carrier' was the answer. How deep am I in
> youghurt ?

	It depends on whether the are configured for aui or bnc & which
	connetor you are using...

> As my Owners-Manual for the 3/50 says, this one had jumpers to
> switch from Thin-Wire to AUI, but the 3/60 doesn't seem to have,
> I didn't find any eeprom-addresses which looked promising...

	The sun hw FAQ covers this (Which is a polite way of saying
	I've forgotten :) - see above web site, or email me if you
	want me to send you a copy.

> Another problem that bothers me, is that I think I'm missing some
> things in my installation, and I wonder if they are part of NetBSD
> at all.  I managed to reformat a spare 100MB HD, which now has a
> system on it, but I don't seem to have an 'installboot', also some
> manpages, like installboot(8), format(8) seem not to be on the
> system, are those not part of the binary-distribution?
>
> I don't like the Idea of getting from somwhere a miniroot, since
> NetBSD boots nicley from NFS....

	What version of NetBSD are you running? - you want to be at least
	1.1, and probably should be using the 1.2_ALPHA snapshot..
	uhh, Gorden - is there a 1.2_ALPHA snapshot?

> BTW, can anybody give me the somewhat funny mapping from SCSI-Id's
> to devices /dev/sd?? ? I'm still getting confused...

	The first found scsi disk is sd0, the second sd1 etc
	so if you have scsi ID 1 and 3: sd0 = ID1 and sd1 = ID3

> I guess I should check the Installation Notes on the netbsd.org as
> well, but I don't have internet-access from here.

	Aha - do you want me to email you a copy of the install notes &
	the sun harware FAQ?

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

.---- I've been too drunk to love ----.--- I've been too drunk to remember -.
|          Too drunk to care          |     The hell of the night before    |
|  Looked like death, felt like Hell  |    I've been drinking myself blind  |
`------ Been the worse for wear ------'--- And still I'll drink some more --'