Subject: Some HW/installation-questions
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel G. Kluge <daniel@hallus.swill.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/17/1996 04:20:15
Hello,
I just played with my other two sun3/60 since I received some Ram
for them, and after a full day of work, I have some questions
unanswered.

Two of my Suns are 3/60C/G, Rom Version 3.0.1, with CG4 Framebuffers,
and one is a 3/60M Rom Version 1.9, without any Framebuffer installed,
what's the difference? www.sun.com does only list HW that has a
Marketing-Value.

The ROM of the 3/60M is far more advanced, the menu-tests would
even test any Kind of framebuffer (well it didn't like the fact
that there was none installed)

The 2 Suns which I installed today didn't like booting from the
ethernet at all, 'No carrier' was the answer. How deep am I in
youghurt ?

As my Owners-Manual for the 3/50 says, this one had jumpers to
switch from Thin-Wire to AUI, but the 3/60 doesn't seem to have,
I didn't find any eeprom-addresses which looked promising...

Another problem that bothers me, is that I think I'm missing some
things in my installation, and I wonder if they are part of NetBSD
at all.  I managed to reformat a spare 100MB HD, which now has a
system on it, but I don't seem to have an 'installboot', also some
manpages, like installboot(8), format(8) seem not to be on the
system, are those not part of the binary-distribution?

I don't like the Idea of getting from somwhere a miniroot, since
NetBSD boots nicley from NFS....

BTW, can anybody give me the somewhat funny mapping from SCSI-Id's
to devices /dev/sd?? ? I'm still getting confused...

I guess I should check the Installation Notes on the netbsd.org as
well, but I don't have internet-access from here.

-daniel

---
Daniel G. Kluge @ Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zuerich
E-Mail:    Internet : daniel@hallus.swill.org (NeXT-Mail welcome)
                      daniel@vis.inf.ethz.ch  (PGP-keyID: 7D5C6D)
Pager:     numeric  : 152-99-54082 (inside Switzerland only)