Subject: Re: panic: cannot mount root
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel G. Kluge <daniel@hallus.swill.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/17/1996 03:49:27
> You may need to write a disk label using the SunOS 'format' command.
> NetBSD uses SunOS style partition information stored in the 0th sector
> of the drive. It may be that the kernel cannot find a valid label for
> the 'a' partition.

That's what I thought....

I filled a 200MB Harddisk with the complete NetBSD-Installation,
on our Sparc-Station, running SunOS 4.1.3, and even convinced
installboot, to install a boot-sector which will hopefully make
the Sun3 happy.

When I tried to boot from it, no such luck, not even 'disklabel'
did recognize the label...

Are there differences between SPARC- and Sun3-labels, oder what is
the explanation ?

The data seems to be still on the drive, as far as I can tell using
'dd'

-daniel

---
Daniel G. Kluge @ Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zuerich
E-Mail:    Internet : daniel@hallus.swill.org (NeXT-Mail welcome)
                      daniel@vis.inf.ethz.ch  (PGP-keyID: 7D5C6D)
Pager:     numeric  : 152-99-54082 (inside Switzerland only)