Subject: general problem with 3/60's scsi.. sorry if a repeat (again)
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: LANCE TOST <ltost@erols.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/30/1996 09:34:06
Sorry if you've seen this before... my provider's mailer has been less
than stellar lately.. thanks.

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 23:05:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: LANCE TOST <ltost@erols.erols.com>
To: port-sun3@netbsd.org
Cc: LANCE TOST <ltost@erols.erols.com>
Subject: general sun3 question about scsi

Hi there.. ihave a Sun 3/60 that i recently acquired and am attempting to
install netbsd on.  Unfortunately, i can't seem to get my scsi hard drive
to work properly.  Here's what i had to do:  Bought an internal scsi
drive and an external case.  So as it is, it looks like this:

Sun DB50 -> Centronics -> into case -> drive -> out of case -> centronics

My question is, where do i terminate?  On the drive with the terminating
resistors i received with it, or on the last centronics port?

Regardless, i've tried almost all combinations and it still won't work.
The built-in diags report that the SBC wr/rd test fails (no reason) and
the external loopback fails (various reasons depending on termination
and/or cable directions ... generally it says "all signals should be off
(high)".

Do either of these symptoms suggest the onboard scsi is fried?  People
have also  mentioned to me that scsi needs to be terminated at both
ends--is this already done on the mainboard?  I can't find a jumper or
anything which hints at it.

Also, when netbooting the netbsd kernel, it finds si0 and reports "SCSI
busy, resetting..." or something of the sort.. and it does this forever.

Other weird things having to do with spinup occur when i terminate, flip
the cable around, etc.. if you think you can help, i can give you more
details when you email.

thanks plenty,

ltost@erols.com
http://www.pobox.com/~ltost