Subject: Re: (Another) stupid question
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/30/1996 11:56:18
> Is there some simple way to reboot with a kernel other than /netbsd
> (or more precisely, one other than what ufsboot wants to load)?

Sure.  You can

# cp newbsd /netbsd.test
# halt
> b sd()netbsd.test -s

Or you can

> b -a

and then when ufsboot prompts, enter the desired name of the kernel
(eg, netbsd.test).

A note of warning, though - if the kernel name contains dashes, at
least some of the software can get confused, and (even though the dash
is not preceded by whitespace) think everything after the dash is a
flag.  I discovered this when I wanted to boot from netbsd- (which has
been my traditional "previous kernel").  I don't remember what gets
confused, nor whether it applies to the sun3 port, but be prepared.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu