Subject: Re: cgfour0 giving a BIG display with Xsun
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/30/1996 11:13:58
>> The problem is, when I try and use Xsun, I get a BIG mono display
>> which looks like it's made out of periods.

With identical aspect ratios vertically and horizontally?  I suspect
what's happening is the server is mapping the bwtwo-equivalent and then
treating it as though it's the cgtwo-equivalent.  Then everything gets
magnified by eight, because the server's idea of one pixel is actually
the hardware's idea of eight pixels, and of course what the server
thinks is one scanline gets displayed as eight scanlines.

Cutting each scanline into eight pieces and stacking them above one
another looks like expanding it vertically by eight, since the pieces
are identical, since the period of the default root weave (4 pixels) is
a divisor of one-eighth of the screen width (144 pixels).  This
explains the vertical magnification; the horizontal magnification is
explained by noting that the server thinks each pixel occupies one byte
of video memory, whereas the hardware takes that byte and displays it
as eight pixels.

Was your server configured for NetBSD when it was built?  I'm wondering
if maybe the NetBSD driver for the cg4 maps things at different places
than the SunOS one....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu