Subject: Re: serial ports
To: None <downsj@teeny.org>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/29/1996 14:15:45
> Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 23:31:37 -0700
> From: Jason Downs <downsj@teeny.org>

> Hi,
>
> How capable are the serial drivers in NetBSD/sun3?  I know the hardware
> pretty much sucks...  Would a 3/50 be able to run a 28.8k modem at 56k?
> Would it also be able to handle dns, mail, and a few ftp connections?

The 3/50 has trouble keeping up with the serial ports even at 9600.
Once I finish making H/W flow controll REALLY work (drop RTS when the
input silo becomes nearly full) then it should at least work without
dropping input, but will probably still be slow on a 3/50.

> I'm wondering if one would make a good router.  I've got one with the
> memory daughter board, so it'll max out at 12mb (got 8mb now), so memory
> isn't a problem.

Probably not a good router.  A 3/60 might be OK.

> Are modern SCSI drives working ok?  (I.e., new Seagates.)

I think so.

Gordon