Subject: Re: likely dumb question
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/25/1996 07:49:48
> But given the fact that after I did a "dd" of the old disk, then did
> a "newfs," then a dump/restore only to have boot fail (after the PROM
> loaded the boot but on the first stage boot I'm guessing - I just got
> "exception" after my "b" command) this added space may has a serious
> cost 8-).

I'd have to see the messages.  Are you using SunOS or NetBSD
bootblocks?  I know the SunOS ones don't work right if /boot or the
kernel has holes, at least on the SPARC and I'd expect the same of the
Sun-3.  I don't recall trying the NetBSD bootblocks on a kernel with
holes.

Also, if you're using NetBSD or SunOS 4.* bootblocks, you'll have to
re-installboot.  SunOS 3.5 bootblocks don't need installboot, but can't
boot a large kernel; I've found that it works to tell the SunOS
bootblock to load NetBSD's ufsboot bootblock.  From memory,

> b sd(...) -a
Boot: sd(...)ufsboot -a
boot: netbsd

> A straight "dd" boots as expected though.

No surprise.

> Thanks for the pointer on your label program - I'll try and track
> down a copy!

I really should drop it in my anon ftp area.

In fact, I just have.  ftp://collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu/mouse/sunlabel.c
and .../sunlabel.doc should be the files you want.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu