Subject: Re: likely dumb question
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/23/1996 11:36:05
> Did you run "edlabel" (or disklabel) to label the new disk?

Yes, I disklabel'ed the drive (it made newfs easier 8-).  Alas I don't
know the inside-out of Sun lowlevel as I do vaxen, but for all it is worth,
I notice the bootable drive lead block (0) has a string starting at 0 byte
offset with an "ASCII label" of the drive name and geometry.  I've no idea
whether this is used by the PROM boot or not. The "new" drive's bootblock
is all nil's in the lead area of the boot block (presuming block 0 is
the boot block).

Ah, thanks for the pointer on the boot tape script bug, I will try again!

-- Ken