Subject: Re: Funky SCSI card
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@interpath.com>
From: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/19/1996 08:07:20
> I got a Sun FPA board. What the heck is this? I noticed it had two big
> heatsink-like Amp parts on it. Anybody know exactly what this thing is?
> How is it used? And can NetBSD be made to work with it, what is involved
> exactly with this?

This is a "Floating Point Accelerator" - a "homebrew" FPU that Sun used
before 68881's were commonplace.

NetBSD probably couldn't work with this too well.  m68k binaries are currently
built to assume the m68k floating-point instruction set (as implemented by
6888x and '040/'060).  Software emulation is provided in some ports.  The
bottom line is that you'd have to re-implement the software emulator to
use the FPE, and 881's are around $40 if you can find them and work much
better.