Subject: Sun3 install moving ahead slowly, comments.
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/14/1996 15:34:51
	The first thing that is a little troubling about the install
using the tape (turned out to be eprom setting that were the previous
problem, thanks)... is that they assume that you are going to use sd0
or sd2 to install.  This is bad since many examples of Suns that I've
seen around come factory installed with sd0 and sd1 on an emulex
controller.

	Until NetBSD is up and running happily, I'm hoping that I can
continue to have SunOS around --- which is on sd0.  Thus I want to
install on sd1.  I had to manually mknod (guessing at numbers) to do
this.  Having done this, I was able to edit the disklabel.

	Next, I wanted to read miniroot off the tape.  I don't know
exactly what is wrong, but although netbsd boots fine from the tape
(stock 60 meg drive on an emulex), it seems unable to read from it
once booted.  This is a typical attempt:

ssh: dd bs=32k if=/dev/nrst0 of=/dev/rsd1b
st0(si0:4:0): no data found, requested size: 64 (decimal), data = 34 00 00
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 1 secs (0 bytes/sec)
ssh: mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
ssh: mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 3
ssh: dd bs=32k if=/dev/nrst0 of=/dev/rsd1b
st0(si0:4:0): no data found, requested size: 64 (decimal), data = 34 00 00
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 1 secs (0 bytes/sec)
ssh: mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
ssh: dd if=/dev/nrst0 of=/dev/null
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 4 secs (0 bytes/sec)
ssh: dd if=/dev/nrst0 of=/dev/null
st0(si0:4:0): no data found, requested size: 1 (decimal), data = 34 00 00
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 1 secs (0 bytes/sec)
ssh: dd if=/dev/nrst0 of=/dev/null
st0(si0:4:0): no data found, requested size: 1 (decimal), data = 34 00 00
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 1 secs (0 bytes/sec)
ssh: dd if=/dev/nrst0 of=/dev/null
st0(si0:4:0): no data found, requested size: 1 (decimal), data = 34 00 00
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 1 secs (0 bytes/sec)

I'm now trying to copy the miniroot and make things bootable with
SunOS again.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |