Subject: Initial attempts at tape boot unsuccessful.
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/14/1996 14:42:09
	So... I'm about to add the 4th NetBSD port to my home network
(I have Amiga, Sun4, and i386 running for some definition of
running).  Anyways, I'd really like to have a bootable tape for the
Sun3 --- it's just easier than netbooting.  When I boot the Sun3 from
the tape, I get the following:

>b st(0,0,0)
Boot: st(0,0,0)
>> NetBSD tapeboot [$Revision: 1.3 $]
466260+284056+87436+[41688+45445]=0xe1cd9
getbyte error, target never set REQ
getbyte error, target never set REQ
invalid status msg = FFFFFFFF
Starting program at 0x4000
console on kd0 (keyboard/display)
kernel stop: enter c to continue or g0 to panic

Abort at 0E061BC8

	Now, the situation here is that the Sun3 currently has SunOS
4.1.1 installed on it.  It has two disks (312M ESDI on an emulex) and
a 60 meg tape drive.  SunOS is running fine.  Using this SunOS, I
follow the instructions to create the bootable tape.  I have read back
the tape, and it reads without error.

	The remainder of the details of the machine are: Sun3/260,
cgtwo, 8M RAM, VME 'si' SCSI.

	So... any ideas?  Since it has SunOS on it, and two disks, I'm
pretty sure that I can do it much like I did the Sun4 (which is very
much identical, save more memory)... that is to install everything on
the other disk and then boot from it.

	Any ideas on the boot tape?

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |