Subject: Re: Status of Sun2-SCSI controller implementation
To: None <sellis@rohan.sdsu.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/13/1996 18:22:35
> I recently aquired an old 3/110 with a 4M ram card, which has a "Sun
> 2 SCSI" controller piggybacked on it (part number 501-1138).  It
> looks as though NetBSD only supports the "Sun 3 SCSI" controllers,
> but I'm hoping somebody has started work on support for the older Sun
> 2 controllers.

Someone has.  Two or three different people, I understand.  I'm one of
them. :-)

> Has anybody had any luck with these SCSI controllers?

Yes, I have.  Mostly bad.

I'm assuming you mean the thing SunOS calls the "sc".

I've got a driver working enough to talk to the disk.  However, they
return four-byte mode sense info, which NetBSD doesn't know how to
handle.  I've patched around that, but then comes the problem that they
work only for 6-byte commands (or at least so I was told, by someone
who got it out of the SunOS source code).  NetBSD uses a 10-byte
command to get the disk size, and isn't prepared for it to fail; the
net result is that the disk shows up as something like

sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <, , > SCSI0 0/direct fixed
sd0: 0MB, 0 cyl, 0 head, 0 sec

I have not yet gotten a system to actually run with one of these
things.  I'm hoping to, when I have the spare time to pick up the
project again.

I'll be glad to send what I have to anyone interested, but don't bother
asking unless you're ready to play kernel hacker; it is _not_ ready for
even alpha use.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu