Subject: Trouble installing via net (linux)
To: None <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de, s.volkert@link-sr.cl.sub.de>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/08/1996 11:26:44
> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 16:13:24 +0200
> From: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>

> Hi,
>
> a friend asked me to install NetBSD V1.1 on his sun 3/50M.  As he
> also has a PC running Caldera (some sort of RedHat Linux with a
> nice desktop), we wanted to install via network.
>
> After managing to get the sun3 get it's IP number via RARP and
> downloading  the netboot program via TFTP, I expected the sun3 to
> send some BOOTP-frames, but all i got was some requests for a
> SUNRPC to address 255.255.255.255:
[...]
> >> NetBSD netboot [$Revision: 1.2 $]
> Using IP Address 111.111.111.42 = 6F6F6F2A
> boot: client addr: 111.111.111.42
> bootparamd: 'whoami' call failed
> boot: netbsd: Input/output error
[...]
> From peeking in several sources (netboot, mainly), i understand that
> that 'whoami' call is some sort of RPC (hence the above call to SUNRPC),
> but how do i get this to be sent to an address the Linux understands?

You need a "bootparamd" program for your Linux machine.  This is a
completely different thing from "bootpd" and most people use the one
provided with the "Linux Xkernel" distribution (which is a stripped-
down copy of SunOS that makes your sun act like an X terminal.)

One other thing:  The message from netboot above indicates that
you are not using the latest binaries.  There are later ones on:

	ftp.netbsd.org: /pub/NetBSD/arch/sun3/install-11-p1

That is the "1.1-patch-1" distribution.

Have fun,
Gordon