Subject: mouse pads
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johnathan Vail <vail@harlie.pps.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/04/1996 18:26:35
   Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 22:56:45 +0100
   From: jules@mailbox.co.uk (Julian Bean)
   Sender: owner-port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG

   At 11:55 am 4/4/96, Jason Downs wrote:
   >I've been reading the Sun hardware FAQ, and it states that Sun3 mice
   >used a mouse pad with `broad stripes', as opposed to the later mice that
   >used `narrow stripes'.  Does anyone know for sure whether or not the older
   >mice will work with the newer pads?  I've got mice without pads.

   I am fairly sure they won't, although I can't remember if I ever tried...

The mouse with the Big mouse Pad only works on the Big Pad.  The
mouse with the Little Pad will work on eithr Pad.

The change-over happened late in the run of 3/60's just before the
3/80 was introduced and just before the butcher^H^H^H^H^H^H updated
keyboards came out.  I am fortunate enough to be typing this on one of
the few 3/60s with the Small mouse pad but older better keyboard (but
alas still running SunView and SunOs 4.1).

   >Sun Express has mouse pads for $12; I assume that if the `narrow' ones work,
   >any Mouse Systems-like pad for PCs will work.

   >It's mildly impressive that Sun Express still carries the DB15 to DIN8
   >keyboard adaptors, and Sun3 SCSI cables.

That's the mini-DIN, right?

jv

PrePRESS      Johnathan Vail     vail@prepress.pps.com     (508) 262-8354
---------+    900 Middlesex Turnpike   Billerica Massachusetts   01821