Subject: Mac68k/Sun3 binary/lib compatibility
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG, port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/04/1996 12:46:49
I am trying to be able to compile kernels on my Sun3 - and at some point
update it fully to 1.1B (it is currently running Aug 95 1.0A).
Unfortunately my source tree is on my Mac68k machine.

It is my understanding that the two are binary compatible.  However, how
far does this go?  My sun3 has its own /usr, but nfs mounts /usr/src
(read-write) from the mac68k (as well as /usr/local and /usr/share).  I can
populate /usr/include on the sun3 with up-to-date include files by doing a
cd /usr/src/include;make install.

However, libraries worry me.  If I have the libraries compiled on the
mac68k, can I simply install those on the sun3?  It seems to me that they
might have dependencies on mac68k-specific includes under /sys.

What I am trying to do is build the tool chain on the sun3 - which brings
me to my next question - how many of gcc, as, ld, tsort, nm, ar etc. are
binary compatible between the two systems?  Can I naively cd
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc and make install the mac68k versions in to place?

Having got libs and a tool chain, I can presumably cd
/usr/src/sys/arch/sun3/conf, make a config, config it and then cd
../compile/MACHINE and make my kernel.... (OK, I'm going to have to install
the new config on the sun3 as well...)

Is this all possible?  Some of it could be made neater by using union
mounts, but I can't use union mounts until I compile a kernel with union_fs
support ;-)

I believe that /var/obj tricks exist for sharing source between different
architectures, but I am hoping that this is not necessary between mac68k
and sun3, and I don't think I have the disk space anyway....

Any help?

Jules

P.S. Sun3 people - I have only been watching port-sun3 with half an eye.
Is the new SCSI driver compiled in by default now?  I could really use a
faster SCSI driver just now...

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |