Subject: bizarre slowness in tftpbooting diskless sun3
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/09/1996 09:46:20
I have a sun3/60 I am trying to boot netbsd-1.1 diskless from my
netbsd-1.1 i486.  I get some very strange behavior during the step of
tftping netboot: it is stunningly slow.  Watching the ethernet with
tcpdump, I see a very regularly repeated pattern: request, reply,
request, reply (two round trips) quickly, then pause about two
seconds; repeat.  When netboot finally gets loaded (5 or 10 minutes),
I then get "Requesting Internet address for 8:0:20:0:F2:8B" on the
sun3 console, but tcpdump on the i486 shows no more packets coming
from the sun3 after the tftp finished.

Any clues?
Please respond directly; I am not on the list.

Thanks,
Roland