Subject: other sun questions...
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Garcia <kender@hollyfeld.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/03/1996 04:17:11
Hello alls,

I'm the recently proud owner of a Sun 3/50, with keyboard, and mouse, but
no harddrives or monitor.  No biggie, I figured i'd run it diskless off of
a linux machine that I have here.  I managed to get the sun's console going
out over the serial line, and messed around in diag mode for a bit, but not
much there.  And now, i'm trying to boot it to the point where I can install
NetBSD-1.1

I've _almost_ got it doing a diskless boot, except for one small problem,
which I think might be related to the fact that the boot server is a linux
box.  Well, let me show you what happens:

    Selftest Passed.

    Sun Workstation, Model Sun-3/50M.
    Type-3 Keyboard.
    ROM Rev 2.6, 4MB memory installed, Serial #35274
    Ethernet address 8:0:20:0:A7:35

    Auto-boot in progress...
    Using IP Address 204.130.199.3 = CC82C703
    Boot: le(0,0,0)
    Booting from tftp server at 204.130.199.1 = CC82C701
    Downloaded 13312 bytes from tftp server.

    >> NetBSD netboot [$Revision: 1.2 $]
    Requesting Internet address for 8:0:20:0:A7:35
    -

Ok - it figures out who/what it is.  It somehow (not sure how, using
RARP perhaps?) figures out that it's IP address is 204.130.199.3, and
then, using tftp, pulls over the NetBSD netboot from my machine.  Whee,
fun, cool.

However, in NetBSD netboot, it then hangs on that Requesting Internet
address for.....

Now, according to the bootp daemon on bitsy, no requests of any kind have
come in.  Is bootp under linux different from bootparamd?

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks much in advance,

  /Daniel Garcia/Soon to be PhD Student/Kender@hollyfeld.org /kender@esu.edu /
 /Linux  Hacker/C Programmer for Hire /#include <disclaimer>/The Answer's 42/|
|Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon     | |