Subject: Re: Can't partition and format Sun3 disk
To: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
From: Mauricio Tavares <raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/31/1995 16:04:40
While shopping for shruberries, David Jones pondered:

> > Sun did the obvious thing: within a shoebox, they crimped DB-50s onto each end
> > of a 50-conductor ribbon cable (the connectors labeled "scsi in" and "scsi
> > out") and a 50-pin header onto the middle, then connected the header to the
> > SCSI controller.
>
> OK, just to see if I got this right...
>
> I have a 4/100 CPU card that has a three-row, 50-pin SCSI connector on it.
> I also have a SCSI tower with a standard 50-pin ribbon cable coming out of it.
>
> If I go down to Active Components and buy a 50-pin connector, and crimp it
> onto the ribbon cable coming out of the SCSI tower such that pin 1 on the
> cable is next to pin 1 on the connector, then all will be happy, right?

	When I bought my Sun shoebox (I bought it before getting the
3/50), I replaced its DB50 connectors for Centronics-50.  All I did was
take out the old connectors, crimp in the new ones, and enlarge the holes
(the Centronics connectors are slightly larger.  It worked quite fine with
my Macintosh, my Amiga, and the DECstation I am trying to use to netboot
the 3/50.

--

| Mauricio Tavares          | "We will attack...                          |