Subject: Re: Can't partition and format Sun3 disk
To: Brett Glass <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/31/1995 13:15:15
On Wed, 27 Dec 1995, Brett Glass wrote:

> P.S. -- Once I get the disk formatted -- however I do it -- I will need to
> learn the Sun convention for partition tables: what letters are used, what
> letters are skipped, how big each partition should be, and what the numbers
> mean. I understand that, by convention, some of the partitions overlap,
> with "c" spanning the space used by all the others -- and that they all
> have a starting cylinder of "0" in the table, even though some don't really
> start there. Is there a FAQ on this?

I don't know of a FAQ off-hand, but it's pretty simple.

	a	root (20)
	b	swap (16 or more; minimum 2*RAM)
	c	whole disk
	d	NetBSD portion of disk (same as c, usually)
	e	tmp (16-64)
	f	var (60-200)
	g	usr (100-300)
	h	home (whatever)

The values in parenthises are the sizes (in megabytes) that I
usually use for these partitions. When laying out a disk less than
about 500 MB I leave off home and symlink /home -> /usr/home. When
laying out a disk under about 200 MB I usually just put everything
in the root partition.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.