Subject: Re: Can't partition and format Sun3 disk
To: Denis Fortin <fortin@zap.qc.ca>
From: Mauricio Tavares <raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/28/1995 16:28:08
While shopping for shruberries, Denis Fortin pondered:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> > While shopping for shruberries, Brett Glass pondered:
> > > Can it instruct the Emulex bridge board to do a low-level format on the
> > > drive?
> >
> > 	AFAIK, there is a command called rzdisk that allows you to low
> > level format a hard drive.
>
> rzdisk?  really?  Are you sure that this wasn't an Ultrix-only command?
> (Digital's SCSI disks used to be the RZ series in the DECsystem 5000 days
> and I always thought that the "rzdisk" command was simply a simple
> Ultrix-only command that DEC whipped up to provide an interface to some of
> the SCSI-specific ioctls that those RZ disks had.)

	You are probably right.  You can see my Ultrix background does
show a little bit, doesn't it? =)  Now, couldn't it be something like
that for the Sun?  I mean, glancing through my copy of "Essential System
Administration," I find a reference to a program called, believe it or
not, "format" that is supposed to format the drive before you run newfs
or mkfs.

I will check it out in my Sparc account later on and post my findings.

> Denis, who still has an RZ57 hanging off his Windows 95 PC (yes I know
>        that it's weird)

	Windows 95?  Micro$oft?  Aaargh!  Don't say those names. =)

--

| Mauricio Tavares          | "We will attack...                          |