Subject: Re: Can't partition and format Sun3 disk
To: Brett Glass <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
From: Mauricio Tavares <raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/28/1995 00:25:33
While shopping for shruberries, Brett Glass pondered:

> Now that I've made a boot tape, I can't seem to partition a hard disk on a
> Sun 3/50 in preparation for loading the operating system.

	Well, you are a little bit farther than me; I am still trying to
find a way to boot the bloody thing.

> Is the Sun3 RAM disk minikernel able to handle a hard disk that was not
> previously used on a Sun? Can it instruct the Emulex bridge board to do a
> low-level format on the drive? (The EXT-4380 is soft-sectored, so the
> Emulex may want to low-level format it in a particular way. But I can't
> seem to find a command that will do this.)

	AFAIK, there is a command called rzdisk that allows you to low
level format a hard drive.  If you ever become really desperate, you may
want to try to low level format the drive in a Sun with an
working/installed OS.

--

| Mauricio Tavares          | "We will attack...                          |