Subject: Re: 2nd ethernet problems
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/20/1995 10:34:18
> > From: Chris Callanan <ccallana@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu>
> > Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:34:33 -0800 (PST)
>
> > > ie0 at obio0 addr 0xc0000 level 3 hwaddr 08:00:20:00:45:c7
> > > ie1 at vmes0 addr 0xffe88000 level 3 vector 0x75 hwaddr 08:00:20:00:45:c7
> >
> > maybe unrelated, but arent ethernet interfaces supposed to each
> > have their own hardware addresses??  why do these 2 show up the same?
>
> Every interface on one wire has to have a unique address.
> Multiple interfaces in the same machine are allowed to have
> the same address.  Of course, this means you should never
> connect the same ethernet segment to more than one of the
> interfaces in your Sun...

ah, and this be the case for me, at least until i get some more coax run.

i have two networks, one for each of my internet connections.

unfortunately, i have been running them all on the smae chunk of coax.

do you think this might be the problem with the ipl error i got?

is there a way to set the HW address of the second card?

--
[ Jim Mercer   Reptilian Research  merce@iguana.reptiles.org  +1 416 410-5633 ]
[  when you eat hot chiles you should follow them with some ice cream.  Then, ]