Subject: Re: Problems booting
To: None <tom@sdf.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/11/1995 11:53:23
> Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 16:25:17 -0800 (PST)
> From: Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>

>   After booting from a 1.1 boottape, partitioning the drive, copying the
> mini-root, and re-booting with the miniroot, I get:
>
> Boot: sd(0,0,1)netbsd -s
> scsi: getbyte failed
> invalid status msg = 1
> scsi: getbyte failed
> invalid status msg = 1
> scsi: getbyte failed
> invalid status msg = 1
> scsi: dma never completed

That is the PROM complaining.  Is it an old (<3.0) PROM rev?

> The drive is properly detected during boot.

...By the boot tape kernel I presume...

>   Also, performance seems to be a bit slow.  Doing a dd bs=8k if=/dev/sd0b
> of=/dev/null only yields about 70K/s.  This is an older Fijitsu Fast
> SCSI-II drive that I know can sustain 2MB/s.

The si_options variable in the 1.1 release kernels is set to zero,
meaning "slow, paranoid" mode.  Try setting si_options=3 (as shown
in previous mail on this list - let me know if you need it.)

Gordon Ross