Subject: Re: Creating /dev/log
To: None <trent@rmci.net>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/11/1995 11:44:43
> Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 21:04:04 -0700 (MST)
> From: Trent McNair <trent@rmci.net>
> Sender: owner-port-sun3@netbsd.org
>

> When I try to run syslogd on my machine in complains "can't create
> /dev/log, read only filesystem".  If I try to use mknod to create /dev/log
> I get the same thing....  I tried monkeying with permissions a little but
> still can't get it to work. Any suggestions?
>

> -oh yeah, I'm using 1.1 on a 3/50 - nfsing from linux.
>
> Trent McNair
> trent@rmci.net

That probably means that the server does not honor requests from the
user "root" on the client.  By default, client requests from "root"
are translated to the user "nobody" on the NFS server.  There are
usually some options you can place in /etc/exports to cause the NFS
server to honor requests from "root" on particular clients as root.

Some examples of /etc/exports lines: (from diskless.8 on NetBSD)

# for SunOS:
/export/myclient -rw=myclient,root=myclient

# for NetBSD:
/export/myclient -maproot=root myclient

Gordon