Subject: Re: 3/50 and NFS install crashes!
To: None <aar+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/05/1995 13:13:38
> Date: Mon,  4 Dec 1995 13:38:30 -0500 (EST)
> From: Alfredo A Rodriguez <aar+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> Ok,
>   I have a Sun 3/50 that's hooked up to some ancient MFM drive that
> plugs into the SCSI bus via an ancient Adaptec 4000 MFM-SCSI board. I've
> been trying to NFS install NetBSD 1.1 onto it from my linux box (P120
> running 1.2.13 ELF kernel). The linux remote booting setup was derived
> from the linux xkernel setup+docs. Ok, so everything works fine until
> just after it finishes downloading (via tftp) the bootstrap "netbsd-rd".

That's strange.  I did not think you could just let the PROM download
the netbsd-rd kernel directly (with TFTP).  The kernel has a gap after
the text that the boot loader deals with.  You should put netboot in
the TFTP directory and let the PROM download that.  Then, netboot will
download the netbsd-rd kernel if that's what you want to boot.

> After it downloads this, it makes another RARP request (completely
> unexpected) and hangs; all this instead of NFS mounting the miniroot and
> going on the main install. I only have this problem with my 3/50's. My
> 3/160 works fine under this setup. Any help would be really appreciated.

That sounds like the bug in the old netboot program, so I would assume
your PROM really downloaded netboot with TFTP, not the netbsd-rd kernel.
The netboot program I announced yesterday should work better.

Gordon