Subject: Re: My 3/60 keyboard
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Jeff Mickey <jmic@tezcat.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/04/1995 16:06:38
On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, der Mouse wrote:

> >> [stuff about high voltage inside the monitor]
> > Yes, the anode on the tube has 28.8 kilo volts.  Enough to turn
> > anyone to ashes from the bone out.
>
> Um, voltage alone isn't very informative; you can probably work up more
> than 28KV just by scuffing across a carpet on a dry day.  (But the
> warning _is_ warranted; in a monitor, that high voltage appears across
> enough capacitance to actually have some power behind it.  Plenty of
> juice to kill if messed with carelessly.  And then there's CRT
> implosion danger as well.  Be _damn_ careful inside those things....)

	No offence to Mouse or anyone else..but..monitor repair always
makes me strident..:)

	ACK!!......The voltage inside the moniter is more like 17KV....28
would be for color..but it hardly matters...it will Kill you non the less.
	The CRT is a capcitor...and holds the this voltage after the
moniter has been unpluged from the wall...long after.
	The best thing to do is not open it...but if you do..keep one
hand behind your back..this keeps you from conducting the currant from
hand to hand, through your heart. If the adjustments need to be made with
the moniter pluged in to power...you need somone else there with a
noncondutive stick...littraly a broomhandle or 2by4, and the willingness
to smack you away from the source of voltage if there is a problum. One
more, use the correct tools..you need the kind of nonconductive tools
designed for this work...a 3 or 4 doller radio shack item..:).

	Sorry again if im "preching to the converted" or insulting
anyones intelagence..

	The above said..you might look at the cabaling between the
monitor and the card. My NIS server at work is a Sparc 1, the ferrals for
the cable are dammaged..i dont even want to know how...:)..and the cable
can move in its socket. This causes somthing like what you describe.

jeff