Subject: Re: My 3/60 keyboard
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Loeffler <Martin_Loeffler@gateway.feut.utoronto.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/04/1995 14:33:29
> the light on the mouse doesn't go on and  external loopback to the keyboard
> fails.  everything else seems fine... any suggestions?
>
> Bev

I had a similar problem. If you open the keyboard up (carefully!) the keyboard
is connected to the external cable by a very weak ribbon cable. If the
keyboard's
been opened several times (as may be likely with an old machine like a 3/60)
the cable may have fatigued at the solder joint and broken (as mine had). If
that's
the case, you're in for 15 minutes quick soldering. Be sure to have some
solder-
sucker wire as the little holes in the circuit board are prone to filling with
solder.

M.

--

Martin Loeffler: Senior Technician / ..
Curator of Computing Technology .......

               ~   .
                -o=O=o-     ~
          ~
I love the smell of UNIX in the morning,
       it's the smell of victory.