Subject: Re: My 3/60 keyboard
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Rahim Azizarab <ray@tezcat.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/03/1995 13:04:55
On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, der Mouse wrote:

> Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 09:14:36 -0500
> From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
> To: port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: My 3/60 keyboard
>
> > I've just gotten a keyboard, mouse, and monitor for my 3/60.  The
> > problem is, it still sends output to a terminal through the serial
> > port.  The monitor goes white on boot-up...but, the light on the
> > mouse doesn't go on and external loopback to the keyboard fails.
> > everything else seems fine...  any suggestions?
>
> Sounds to me like a blown keyboard power fuse.  Power to the keyboard
> is fused on the motherboard.  Fortunately, the fuses are socketed.
>
> They are small cylindrical things, clear plastic at least in my
> experience, maybe 4mm long and as much in diameter, with an additional
> black plastic base a couple of mm long, with two wires sticking out the
> end.  They fit into small sockets on the motherboard, usually mounted
> so that extracting the fuse means moving it parallel to the board
> surface.
>
> There are usually at least two fuses on the board, one for the keyboard
> and one (based on its position on the board) for the network.  I've
> seen SPARC boards with three fuses on them; I don't know what the third
> fuse is for, but it doesn't matter for your purposes.
>
> I don't know where to obtain them; Sun presumably sold them, perhaps
> still sells them since some more recent machines use the same fuses.
> Doubtless they are available elsewhere too, but I have no idea where.
>
> 					der Mouse
>
> 			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

Nop, There is nothing wrong with your hardware.  It is just the EEPROM
setting.  If at the boot prom you type q; it will give you your prom
settings.  Read the sun NVROM faq and SUN EEPROM faq or refer to sun 3
eeprom manual.  just from off the top of my head I wound say 12 needs to be
reset.  If you don't find the documentation you need get back to me and I
wil dig it up for you.  To get out of erpom setting type q again.

     .--.  __  .---------     Rahim Azizarab
    / /  \(  )/   ----        1925 S. 3rd Ave
   ////  ' \/ ` ---           Maywood,  IL  60153
  // / / :    :--             708-344-6994
       =UU====UU=             ray@tezcat.com