Subject: Re: My 3/60 keyboard
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/03/1995 09:14:36
> I've just gotten a keyboard, mouse, and monitor for my 3/60.  The
> problem is, it still sends output to a terminal through the serial
> port.  The monitor goes white on boot-up...but, the light on the
> mouse doesn't go on and external loopback to the keyboard fails.
> everything else seems fine...  any suggestions?

Sounds to me like a blown keyboard power fuse.  Power to the keyboard
is fused on the motherboard.  Fortunately, the fuses are socketed.

They are small cylindrical things, clear plastic at least in my
experience, maybe 4mm long and as much in diameter, with an additional
black plastic base a couple of mm long, with two wires sticking out the
end.  They fit into small sockets on the motherboard, usually mounted
so that extracting the fuse means moving it parallel to the board
surface.

There are usually at least two fuses on the board, one for the keyboard
and one (based on its position on the board) for the network.  I've
seen SPARC boards with three fuses on them; I don't know what the third
fuse is for, but it doesn't matter for your purposes.

I don't know where to obtain them; Sun presumably sold them, perhaps
still sells them since some more recent machines use the same fuses.
Doubtless they are available elsewhere too, but I have no idea where.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu