Subject: Re: /dev/std{in, out, err}
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/30/1995 10:26:23
[ On Thu, November 30, 1995 at 06:50:22 (-0500), Brad Spencer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /dev/std{in, out, err}
>
> Sigh.... I reported this quite a long time ago [PR bin/774].  I think
> part of the problem is that the fdesc filesystem makes /dev/stdin and
> friends symbolic links to /dev/fd/_number_.  Following is a very old,
> and perhaps non-working, patch to compress to get it to work again.  I

Ummmm, there's nothing wrong with compress, and working around the
problem is a potential security issue that I don't want to think about.
IMO, the code in compress is correct to ensure that these files are not
irregular in any way.

BTW, I think putting /dev/std* in fdesc, when they work perfectly well
as simple device nodes, is a bit foolish.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>