Subject: sunos X11R6
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@latour.sandelman.ocunix.on.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/22/1995 16:35:52
  I have the X11R6 for Sun3 binaries from Florida State University (I
think that is where I got them).
  I hooked in /emul/sunos/usr -> NFS mount of my /usr disk from my
SunOS machine, and pointed /usr/X11R6 at the X11R6 that is there.
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm -> /etc/xdm (local to the system, to avoid
clashes with xdm-pid, etc.. files)

  xdm says:

xdm error (pid 321): Can't create/lock pid file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-pid

  What does SunOS emul do with flock vs lockf calls? Given that we do
not have NFS locking, and that /etc/xdm/xdm-pid is a *local* file, so
lockf-style locks should be okay. Don't ask me what this compile of
X11R6 uses.
  I'm probably moving too quick, given that I haven't resolved some of
my more fundamental problems. Only reason I care is that I have a
friend's 3/60 (as well as my second one) and when he finds himself a
disk, I'd like to load it and send it home with him... I'm out of desk
space. My "primary" 3/60 has cgtwo, and will run SunOS until I'm real
certain about NetBSD.