Subject: Re: SCSI Drive Size
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/21/1995 18:04:50
> Are there any current size limitations for SCSI HD's under NetBSD?

Yes, of course there are.  But the limit is so high you'd have to put a
huge RAID box, or something equivalent, on there to hit it.  You'll
probably run into some SCSI limitation - 32-bit block numbers, or
something like that - before anything else will break.

> I roughly remember a 1 GB limit under SunOS, has this carried over to
> NetBSD as well?

I don't recall any 1Gb limit under SunOS.  But then, I've never used
disks that big on a Sun-3 under SunOS.  What I do recall from SunOS on
SPARC machines is a 2Gb limit on _filesystem_ size - disks can be as
big as you like (well, there's probably a 1Tb or 2Tb limit) but
filesystems bigger than 2Gb don't work.

Under NetBSD this limit is gone - or at least raised drastically,
probably to something like 2^32 blocks of 512 bytes each, which is the
2Tb (2048Gb) I mentioned above.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu