Subject: ROM Revision levels supported?/Net boot problems
To: None <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/20/1995 17:14:40
> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 19:35:57 +0000
> From: Julian Bean <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk>

> >Are there any particular ROM rev levels that *aren't* support by NetBSD
> >for 3/60's?  Its the only thing that I can think may be causing a problem
> >netbooting a 3/60.  This is what is happening:

[ RARP does not complete...]

> I have had this exact same problem with a 3/50 - whilst another 3/50 of
> mine worked.
>
> The working 3.50 had ROM rev 2.8, and the broken one 2.0 (from memory)
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Yes.  Thanks for the info about PROM revisions.  I suspect the le
driver differs between those PROM revisions.  It would be helpful to
try a copy of netboot built with -DNETIF_DEBUG for netif_sun.c (in
libsa) and keep track of what length packets are received.  Note
that the PROM sif_poll functions does not let you specify the length
of your receive buffer, so maybe it is overwriting it.  (a hunch)
We might need to allocate a (large) buffer for sif_poll to use as
its actual receive location, and then copy the packet.  (Yuck!)

Gordon