Subject: virgin installs
To: None <mcr@sandelman.ocunix.on.ca>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/19/1995 13:56:28
> Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 18:10:03 -0500
> From: Michael Richardson <mcr@latour.sandelman.ocunix.on.ca>

>   I wanted to test out Gordon's boot images on a second 3/60 I'm
> setting up. It has a Wangtek 4mm (DAT) drive attached. SunOS doesn't
> like that that drive much. I was hoping to try a NetBSD kernel out and
> see what it thought...

Sorry, I have not yet updated the install images.  I'm working on it
right now, and hope to have them on-line sometime tomorrow (11/19).
Some of the problems (i.e. console on zs0) are already fixed...

>   I have the machine (named Amaterasu --- sun god of the Incas)
> booting via NFS from genuine SunOS 4.1.0 sun3 system. I formatted the
> disk, mounted it and extracted base and etc. I went into /usr/mdec and
> "installboot'ed" --- the /boot program gives a memory fault. There is
> also no kernel in base.

Right, the kernels are distributed separately from the tar images.
I'm not sure why the SunOS boot would die for you...

>   I tried the netbsd-rd kernel. I booted it by grabbing /boot from a
> network boot with -a, and tell it to boot from hard disk.
>
>   It comes up and tells me that it is moving the console to zs0
> (ttya). Oops, I actually have a keyboard and b&w attached. eeprom
> concures. I will eventually be switching to exactly this config. I
> could do that now I guess.

Sorry about that bug.  (It's fixed.)

>   I haven't paid any money for the DAT drive: if it never works, oh
> well. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to proceed?

Get new images and kernels tomorrow, or put the console on ttya now.

>   I could quite easily do the SunOS thing on my second system long
> enough to get a kernel built under SunOS. I no longer have the disk
> space on my SunOS system to pull out NetBSD sources.

The "virgin" install procedure is to boot netbsd_rd from somewhere
(i.e. tape or NFS) and use that to partition the disk; then copy
the miniroot image into your new swap area, and reboot with:
	b sd(,,1) -s
then make filesystems, mount them, MAKEDEV, extract.

I am working on a script to help automate this, but
for now I recommend doing it manually:

mount nfs_server:/distrib/sun3 /mnt2
newfs /dev/rsd0a
newfs /dev/rsd0g
mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
mkdir /mnt/usr
mount /dev/sd0g /mnt/usr
cd /mnt
gzip -d --stdout /mnt2/base.tar.gz |tar xfp -
gzip -d --stdout /mnt2/etc.tar.gz  |tar xfp -
cd /mnt/dev
./MAKEDEV all
cd /mnt/etc
cp fstab.sd0 fstab