Subject: A few questions on sun3-50 install.
To: None <chris@iquest.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/19/1995 14:15:40
> From: Chris Fisher <chris@iquest.com>
> Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 20:25:38 -0600 (CST)

> A few questions on getting netbsd up on my sun3. For one, I am planning
> on exporting the netbsd from a bsd box anyone know of any potential
> problems with this?
Any NFS server that can do RARP and RPC/bootparamd should be OK.

>    I am worried about swap.
You need an NFS swap file, exported to the client.

All the info you need should be covered in the diskless(8) page.
Let me know if you have trouble finding the info.

>  Question two what is the
> minimum bin install? (15-20M?). I am not using x in fact I am only
> wanting to get the sun3 up well... well just because it is here :)

Here is some info from a "freshly installed" machine: (base+comp)
Filesystem  512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a        29878    20224     6666    75%    /
/dev/sd0g       274960   109156   138308    44%    /usr

> Another question about the sun... The pins 2 and 3 are reversed on the
> serial console right? All I can get out of the sun is a ^A when it boots.

Most Sun machines (all?) have the ttya/ttyb ports wired as DTE,
so a modem would use a straight-through cable, and a tty would
need a null-modem cable.

> I really don't know anything at all about the internels of this sun or
> where it is even configured to netboot so getting this serial console
> working would prolly help a tad.

List readers can help you.  If you set the "Diag/Norm" switch to
Diagnostic mode, that will force console interaction onto ttya.

Gordon