Subject: Re: A few questions on sun3-50 install.
To: Chris Fisher <chris@iquest.com>
From: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/19/1995 08:26:08
> Another question about the sun... The pins 2 and 3 are reversed on the
> serial console right? All I can get out of the sun is a ^A when it boots.
> I really don't know anything at all about the internels of this sun or
> where it is even configured to netboot so getting this serial console
> working would prolly help a tad.

A regular null-modem cable (i.e. 2,3 crossed and a few others) will suffice
to connect the Sun-3 to any other type of terminal.

You need to use 9600 bps, no parity.

There is a norm/diag switch on the back of the CPU board.  Flip it to "diag"
and you will get (eventually!) to the ROM monitor regardless of your prom
settings.