Subject: virgin installs
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@latour.sandelman.ocunix.on.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/18/1995 18:10:03
  I wanted to test out Gordon's boot images on a second 3/60 I'm
setting up. It has a Wangtek 4mm (DAT) drive attached. SunOS doesn't
like that that drive much. I was hoping to try a NetBSD kernel out and
see what it thought...

  I have the machine (named Amaterasu --- sun god of the Incas)
booting via NFS from genuine SunOS 4.1.0 sun3 system. I formatted the
disk, mounted it and extracted base and etc. I went into /usr/mdec and
"installboot'ed" --- the /boot program gives a memory fault. There is
also no kernel in base.

  I tried the netbsd-rd kernel. I booted it by grabbing /boot from a
network boot with -a, and tell it to boot from hard disk.

  It comes up and tells me that it is moving the console to zs0
(ttya). Oops, I actually have a keyboard and b&w attached. eeprom
concures. I will eventually be switching to exactly this config. I
could do that now I guess.

  I haven't paid any money for the DAT drive: if it never works, oh
well. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to proceed?

  I could quite easily do the SunOS thing on my second system long
enough to get a kernel built under SunOS. I no longer have the disk
space on my SunOS system to pull out NetBSD sources.