Subject: Re: problems with scsi_test kernel on 3/75
To: None <dall@HFRD.DSTO.GOV.AU>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@sj.xenotropic.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/15/1995 14:51:06
On Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:16:29 +1030
 Ian Dall <dall@hfrd.dsto.gov.au> wrote:

 > Which raises a question - how many disks can I support without a kernel
 > rebuild? I currently am using SunOS with root on disk 10 (scsi id 5)
 > for reasons you don't want to know about. Can I boot (perhaps with
 > -a) without recompiling. For SunOS I had to rebuild to support
 > the extra disks (I think it only does 2 by default) and also made
 > disk 10 the root disk. I have been lurking on this mailing list
 > for some time and am considering taking the NetBSD plunge for my
 > Sun 3/50.

# Sun compatible scsi device mappings
sd0 at scsibus? target 0 lun 0
sd1 at scsibus? target 0 lun 1
sd2 at scsibus? target 1 lun 0
sd3 at scsibus? target 1 lun 1
sd* at scsibus? target ? lun ?

It uses the SunOS mappings for the first 4 disks, and the NetBSD-style
afterwards.  So, given this scheme, assuming that there are no other
disks on your system, your disk at target 5 would conf up as sd4.

Jason R. Thorpe                                         thorpej@Xenotropic.COM

           Just me and my collection of obsolete computer gear(s).