Subject: ufsboot trouble
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/03/1995 16:37:26
I've got a Sun-3/150 running NetBSD/sun3.  It basically works fine
(except that it takes about two days to do a "make build", but that's
just 'cause it's a slow machine).

But booting has some problems.  I'm having to netboot it, pass the
kernel -a, and tell it to put root on sd0a.  When I try to boot from
disk, the ROMs load bootxx okay, bootxx loads ufsboot okay, ufsboot
starts to load the kernel prints the first number, spins the spinnner
for a second or so, and then hangs hard - with the disk's activity
light lit, if that's any help.

I've been booting from ie(), loading (SunOS) netboot, telling it root
on nfs and getting the kernel from there, and telling the kernel to put
root on sd0a.  This works, but it's a pain, it requires manual
intervention, and it's altogether too easy to make a mistake and get
the machine into a state where the only way out (at least as far as
I've found) is the reset button.  Since I'm not always near the
machine, that's a problem.

Anyone have any recommendations on debugging this?

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu